Defending clients in Indiana and Kentucky
When under police investigation or accused of a crime, you need to know your rights and have a reliable criminal defense lawyer at your side. Remaining silent can be vital for a favorable outcome. You should contact an attorney before answering any questions or cooperating with the police or a federal agent in a criminal investigation.
William D. Nesmith has practiced criminal law as a prosecutor and defense attorney for over 30 years. He has been practicing law since 1988 and is an experienced criminal defense lawyer, defending against the following charges
- Auto theft
- Capital murder
- Child pornography
- Domestic violence
- Drug possession
- Drug trafficking
- Illegal weapons possession
- License suspension
- Probation violations
- Sex offenses
- Traffic violations
Effective strategies and favorable outcomes
The sooner you involve a lawyer to manage your case, the more opportunity you provide for gathering evidence and devising an effective strategy:
- Your attorney can investigate whether rights violations exist, such as illegal search and seizure or failure to observe Miranda rights.
- Under certain circumstances, legal action for dismissal or reduced charges can be brought, especially if charges have not yet been filed against you.
- Your attorney can work to have you released on your own recognizance (without bail) or get bail reduction.
- Jail alternatives including house arrest, work release, and rehabilitation for drugs and alcohol may be pursued.
No matter how large or small your case, or whether it is a felony or misdemeanor, facing criminal charges can adversely affect your life—putting your reputation and job at risk and creating tremendous stress on family and friends. In serious cases, you stand to lose your freedom by going to jail or prison.
Schedule a consultation at no cost or obligation
Our firm offers a free consultation to answer your questions and discuss criminal charges. Understanding the severity of charges and your rights early on can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case. Call on 812-402-9970 or fill out the form using the button below to arrange a consultation at no cost or obligation.